A Brief History of the Savoia Castle
The Castle is located East of Prague in a village called Skvorec. This small town with a few hundred houses and less than 1000 inhabitants is steeped in centuries of history.
The Castle in Skvorec first appears in archives from 1279 when the Domoslav (A Butler to the Queen Kunegunda of Slovenia) began the construction. The only items reminding us of that period are the ancient well and the remains of a gothic palace. Over time, the Castle has had many different owners. At one point, the Castle was rebuilt into a renaissance palace. Amongst the famous owners of the castle were the Olbramovits of Prague, the Klinstejns, Smiricky, Albrecht from Valdstein who, in fact, sold the castle to the Lichtensteins in 1623.
In November 1639, during the Swedish invasion, the Castle was completely plundered and burned to the ground by the Swedish army.
Maria Theresa of Savoia (born Lichtenstein) had restored the destroyed Castle and lived there for over half a century. She built hospitals, churches and significantly influenced the development of the local region. Her death in 1772, once again put the Castle into an abandoned state, which caused the main palace to be destroyed.
It is important to mention that the Castle has served a significant role as a religious center for the local Jewish community. The castle housed a synagogue, Jewish religious school and a cantina for 80 years until the very beginning of the Second World War.
The current life of the Savoia Castle, in its modern aspect, is being made possible by the Eremeev-Salvatore family. Dmitry Eremeev originated from an aristocratic Russian family and his wife Monica Eremeev (born Salvatore) was born in to a noble family and raised in Campoli near Florence. The family began the reconstruction in 2008 . Due to this magnificent restoration, the Castle is open for tours, visits, and both private and public events.