The castle is located east of Prague in a small town of less than 1000 inhabitants called Skvorec. This small town with a few hundred houses hides a centuries of history.

The castle in Skvorec first appears in archives in 1279 when the Domoslav (A Butler to the Queen Kunegunda of Slovenia) began the construction. The only items reminding us of that period are the ancient well and the remains of a gothic palace. Over the time of the castle has changed a lot of owners during which the castle was rebuilt into renaissance palace. Amount the famous owners of the castle were the Olbramovits of Prague, the Klinstejns, Smiricky, Albrecht from Valdstein who have sold the castle to the Lichtensteins in 1623.

In November 1639 during the Swedish invasion the castle was completely plundered and burned  to the ground by Swedish army.

Maria Theresa of Savoia (born Lichtenstein) has restored the destroyed castle and lived here for over half a century. She built hospitals, churches and significantly influenced the development of the local region. Her death in 1772 has put the castle into a forgotten state once again which caused the main palace to be destroyed.

Savoia Castle in 1800

It is important to mention that the castle has served a significant role as a religious center for the local Jewish community. The castle housed a synagogue, Jewish religious school and a cantina for 80 years until the very beginning of the Second World War.

The modern history of the Savoia Castle is being made by the Eremeev-Salvatore family. Dmitry Eremeev originated from an aristocratic Russian family and his wife Monica Eremeev (born Salvatore) was born and raised in a noble family in Campoli near Florence. The family has begun the reconstruction in 2008. Today the castle has been restored and open for private visits, events and local public events.

Follow Us